Subscribe to our Monthly Newsletter
Mobile apps are everywhere. “There’s an app for that” just about sums things up, right? More on that later. From shopping, cooking, business, wellness and entertainment to everything else in between, mobile apps help make life easier. The word “app” is an abbreviation of the word “application” and refers to a software program that can be downloaded onto a mobile device.
Below, we delve into the introduction of mobile apps and the various components of a mobile app. We hope this post gives you better insight into all things apps––if you’d simply like to know more or have an idea for your own app. Let’s get started!
Introduction of Mobile App
The first mobile apps were developed in the 1980s by Psion for their Psion Organizer I, which was branded as the “World’s First Practical Pocket Computer.” The device came with pre-installed software applications like a clock and calculator. As more mobile phones got released throughout the years, utilitarian apps also came with them until Apple’s App Store was released in 2008.
Steve Jobs envisioned the App Store in 1983 when he imagined a place where software could be bought over phone lines. Decades later, he released the App Store after launching iPod and iTunes to the consumer market. Of course, it was a massive hit and permanently changed the consumer landscape.
According to Forbes, the App Store had 37 billion app downloads in the first quarter of 2022. In addition, the year’s first quarter also saw the highest consumer spending in mobile apps, hitting a whopping $33 billion.
Common Types of Mobile Apps
Apple famously ran an ad using the slogan “There’s an app for that” in 2009, showing off the many apps they had available in their App Store. But it’s become more than just a catchphrase. Years later, the statement remains true – if you want something done, there IS almost certainly an app that can help you accomplish it.
Apps come in various types. The following are some of the most popular:
- Gaming apps: Games are the most popular type of mobile app. According to Statista, over 14 billion mobile games were downloaded in the first quarter of 2022 in both the App Store and Google Playstore.
- Productivity apps: These apps aim to help users handle their daily activities better. Thanks to these applications, people can perform complex tasks on the go using their smartphones or tablets.
- Lifestyle apps: This is a broad category that includes fashion, virtual fitting rooms, dating, workout and diet apps.
- Educational apps: These apps help users gain new skills and knowledge. A famous example of this is Duolingo, which recently became popular for adults and children. Education mobile applications are gaining more traction because they offer flexibility in learning that’s difficult to find elsewhere.
- Mobile commerce apps: These are mobile versions of popular eCommerce websites like Amazon and eBay.
Components of A Mobile App
There’s no magic (well, maybe a little) in the apps we use – they are made with meticulous planning and significant investment in time and resources. If you are planning to make an app or hire a third party to create it for you, you should know the essential components of a mobile application to make it successful.
- Services: This pertains to the app’s business logic and data sources.
- Libraries: These are packages of codes that developers use so that they don’t have to write that functionality from scratch.
- Codebase: This is the most important among the four components of a mobile app. It is the code that developers write to build features and functionality.
- UI and UX: The components mentioned above are all essential for making an app, but the user interface (UI) and user experience (UX) elements are what attracts people to keep on using it. The goal is to create a pleasant and valuable experience for the user.
While you are not legally required to write a Terms and Conditions agreement for your app, it’s highly advisable that you should do so. It establishes a legal relationship between two parties, allowing you to manage your app better and gives your users a sense of security since they will know what to expect.
- Rules that users must follow
- Penalties for app misuse
- Copyright information
- Payment or subscription information (if applicable)
- Things you are responsible and not responsible for
Start Creating the Perfect App
Ready to create your own app? With the help of the capable professionals at Jackrabbit Mobile, you can turn your ideas into a reality. No matter your budget, we will create a functional mobile app for your business that meets your needs and goals. So let our passionate team help you, and contact us today!
Let’s Make Your Idea Reality
We deliver value to partners through mobile strategy expertise, user-centered design, and lean methodology. Take a look around our work portfolio and drop us a line, we’d love to chat.